Monday, May 19, 2014

No Strings Attached

1 Corinthians 13:7 ...it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love. It's' easy to give to those whom reciprocate what we offer. God has been teaching me such a hard but necessary lesson concerning the topic. When I offer love to others, I want it back. Who doesn't? But that isn't always the case. It's opened my eyes to the love that God offers us every time we reject him, walk away from him, refuse to offer thanks for things he's done, or simply refuse to run towards him as he lavishes love on us. Not only does God love and run after those that want nothing to do with him, but he does it with those that do want his love and fall short of loving him in return. Love perseveres. Our culture has it so backwards. We've decided to say, "I'll love you, if you love me". Since when do we need to wait for others to love us back to love them and let them know that we do? Since when did Christ's love become so conditional? 

It's hard, especially when it feels as if the person you're loving doesn't seem to care or have any similar feelings in return. However, I just can't hold back my love from those that need it so badly when I think about all the times that God has unconditionally loved me. In spite of my failures, in spite of my flaws, in spite of my bad behavior, in spite of all of my short comings, he still loves. Who do you find yourself holding back love from because they aren't expressing any in return? Today I challenge you to reach out to them and let them know that you care, that you love them and expect nothing in return, no strings attached. That's when we find ourselves expanding our capacity to love as Christ has loved us. 

1 comment: