Monday, February 23, 2015

Counterculture: The Importance of Celebrating Others

Can you remember a time when you caught yourself thinking, "I should be the one..."? I should be the one to get the raise. I should be the one to get the compliments. I should be the one to receive the thanks. I should be the one. In our selfie, me-driven culture, it isn't against the norm to, above all else, think of "number one". But, have you ever met people who promote and serve others above themselves? It's refreshing. 

Maybe it's in the form of a conversation where the other person seeks to ask about how you are doing before filling you in on everything concerning their life, or maybe it's a person who celebrates with you even when they have nothing to celebrate. I think the most effective way of overcoming jealousy and the urge to want to impress people with our accomplishments is to celebrate others. It's hard. Especially when all you want to do is complain about how she always gets the attention or he enjoys the promotion that you worked hard to get. However, I've found from personal experience many times that it makes me feel better when I take the time to re-orient my perspective and genuinely rejoice with those around me. It also encourages and uplifts the one you are celebrating. Have you been caught in the middle of "what if land" today or recently? Maybe it's time you really thought about how celebrating others can improve your attitude and your perspective. It feels good to have people who will celebrate you; your accomplishments, your dreams, your life. So why not take the time (and maybe even the money) to do for someone else what you want done for you? Take the time to celebrate others.

No comments:

Post a Comment