Saturday, November 15, 2014

Eye Contact


Matthew 14:29-31 Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water."
“Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”


God has been using the story of Peter walking on water to teach me how to navigate difficult situations or seasons of life. The key thing that He's been pointing out about this story is the part where Peter "saw the wind". For Peter to see the wind he had to have taken his eyes off of Jesus and been overwhelmed with the obstacle he saw- and because he took his eyes off of Jesus he was afraid and began to sink. When I start to feel overwhelmed with a situation or just with life in general, I feel Jesus calling me to keep my eyes fixed on him. When I begin to sink I call out, "Lord, save me!" and Jesus reaches out his hand and catches me and says, "You of little faith, why did you doubt? Why did you take your eyes off of me?" It's a trend. Every time I take my eyes off my Jesus, I feel afraid, I doubt and I begin to sink. But all it takes for me to get back on track is to re-fix my gaze on Jesus. He is peace. He is strength. He is guidance. He is comfort. He is my future. And the best way we can avoid sinking in life is to keep our eyes fixed on His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment