Tuesday, November 4, 2014

God Does the Guiding

Everyone has an opinion. About almost everything. I've found this to be especially true as I've been navigating the direction my life is going and the decisions I have to make to get me going that way. "You should do [fill in the blank]" or "No, you should do [fill in the blank]." The voices of people I love and respect and even those of acquaintances and random strangers are rolling around in my mind fighting for control of the decision I should make. 

I'm not saying that we should disregard what others have to say or the advice they have to give. The Bible is clear that we are to seek wisdom and correction from those that are wiser and more experienced than we are. However, when we begin to go along with what other people are saying without praying and taking into consideration what God is saying then there is a problem. Aside from missing what God has directed us to do, we are also going to end up disappointing someone in our lives because not every person we want to please has the same opinion about what we should do. In Psalm 118:8, it says, "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust humans." If we base all of our decisions off of what other people say without listening to what God is telling us to do, we will end up far from where we're supposed to be with little or no peace, anxiety, confusion, frustration, etc. Things don't end well when we're so caught up with what other people think and what we can do to please them. Sometimes we have to make a decision based on what God is saying and what is best for the situation and that isn't always going to satisfy the people we love and respect and that is OK. You do you. 

I'm not sharing this with you because I have it all figured out or because I've grown a whole lot in this area. I'm sharing this with you because I don't have it all figured out and I'm still learning and growing as I go. I'm sharing this because I want you to know that you aren't alone. I think we all have the desire to be accepted for who we are, what we decide to do and what we don't decide to do with our lives. We want to belong. But sometimes the things God calls us to do are not going to be widely accepted, they aren't going to be seen as the best choice. Bob Goff posted a quote the other day that said, "Tell people who they are, not what they want. We do the loving; God does the guiding." Let's allow God to do the guiding. When we are in the center of people's will for our lives there's only striving and performance; when we're in the center of God's will for our lives there's peace and rest. 



No comments:

Post a Comment